We can be eating simple, fast, tasty and nutritios food, however at times, when our digestive fire is slow we need to pull out our tool box to complete the digestive process and to enhance the qualities of our cooking. Cooking with spices like cardamon, coriander, hing, fennel and ginger can really make a difference in reducing gas forming as well as aid the digestion process.
· Eat ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger with a pinch of rock salt before each meal to stimulate agni. ( digestive fire)
· Salt also aids digestion, and helps to retain water.
· Alkalis help digestion and regulate gastric fire.
· Ghee stimulates agni and improves digestion.
· Small sips of warm water during a meal will aid digestion and absorption of food.
· Do not drink iced water as it slows agni and digestion. Indeed ice water should not be taken under most circumstances, as it is too shocking to the system.
· Proper chewing is essential to good digestion; ensuring food gets thoroughly mixed with saliva.
· A cup of lassi at the end of a meal also aids the digestive process. Make by blending ¼ cup yogurt with 2 pinches of ginger & cumin powder in 1-cup water.
· Ideally, one should fill the stomach with one-third food, one third liquid and one third should be empty.
· Avoid eating raw and cooked foods together or fresh foods with leftovers.