Here some supplements you may want to incorporate in your diet if you are suffering from low energy or just feel moody.
Omega-3 fatty acid; reduce anxiety and may relieve depression. Walnuts, pumpkin seeds, mint, parsley, spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts, flax seeds are rich in Omega-3.
Folic Acid ( folate) maintain mood balancing serotonin in the brain. Find folic acid in
- Spinach — 1 cup = 263 mcg of folate (65% DV)
- Collard Greens — 1 cup = 177 mcg of folate (44% DV)
- Turnip Greens — 1 cup = 170 mcg of folate (42% DV)
- Mustard Greens — 1 cup = 103 mcg of folate (26% DV)
- Romaine Lettuce — 1 cup = 76 mcg of folate (19% DV)
- Asparagus, broccoli, citrus fruits. One orange holds about 50 mcg, and a large glass of juice may contain even more. Other folate-rich fruits include papaya, grapefruit, grapes, banana, cantaloupe and strawberries.
- Beans and peas especially high in folic acid include pinto beans, lima beans, green peas, black-eyed peas and kidney beans. A small bowl of any type of lentils will give you the majority of your recommended daily amounts of folate.
- Be also friendly to carrots, beets, avocado, okra, almonds, peanuts,corn, celery and squash.
Vit. B6 and B12 may relieve depression. B6 It plays a vital role in many of the chemical reactions that take place in the body, it helps in the formation of heme in red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body and it is essential to metabolize foods into energy. Chickpeas, lentils and soybeans are just some examples of vitamin B6-rich beans and legumes. Kidney beans are another good source of the nutrient. By including a single serving of any of these foods with your meals, you can maintain your intake of vitamin B6 and lower the risk of experiencing B6 deficiency.
B12 Meet is rich in B12, however if you are vegetarian you can find B12 in ghee, eggs, nutritional yeast. With 20 mg. a day you have cover your basic need for B6 and 12.
Vit. D May relieve symptoms of seasonal affective disorder ( SAD)Apart from taking sun ( at least 30 minutes a day) or having a Vit D supplement, you can find it in tuna and salmon.
Surprisingly, the dried versions of shiitake mushrooms are high in vitamin D. This may be due to the fact that these mushrooms are great at sucking up sunlight. Shiitake mushrooms are also rich in B vitamins like B1 and B2. Make sure that you find mushrooms that have been dried in the sun, not by artificial means, in order to achieve the benefits of high vitamin D content. You can take up to 5000 IU of vit. D per day.
St. John's wort; (Hypericum perforatum)may lessen anxiety, insomnia and symptoms of mild depression. To be effective you need to start taking tintures of capsules in the fall. Take 40 drops daily for 3 months.
St. John’s wort has long been used as a folk remedy for emotional disorders. It was once thought to rid the body of evil spirits. St. John’s wort has also been used for wound healing,earache, smoking cessation, skin conditions ( as oil) burns and hemorrhoids.