Bitter melons, also called bitter gourd, are rich in iron. They have twice the beta carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, twice the potassium of bananas, and contain vitamins A, C, several of the B-complex, potassium, copper, phosphorus, zinc and a minimal amount of protein.
For those with high Pitta, it becomes a delicious medication that cleans the liver and cools off the system. It helps regenerate the worst of skin rashes, hair and nails. It balances blood pressure, blood sugar and even heals diabetes. It also kills bacteria, viruses, cancer cells, leukemia cells and prevents tumors.
Ingredients for the melons 4 people
- 4 medium-sized bitter melons
- 1/2 cup vegetable coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
Ingredients for filling.
- 2 cups of fresh mint leaves with ¼ cup of fresh coriander leaves,
- 1 cup of freshly grated or frozen coconut. If the coconut is too dry, add
- 1/3 cup of coconut water and purée it.
- juice of 1 or 2 limes to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 tsp. of jaggery
· Wash the bitter melons. Cut off top and tail. Slit them through lengthwise leaving 1/2" from top and bottom ends so that the two halves do not separate.
· Carefully, use a spoon to scoop out the pith. Discard the pits.
· Put 4 cups of water in a deep vessel and add 1 tbsp of salt to it. Mix to dissolve salt. Put the melons in the water and set up to boil. When water comes to a boil, simmer and cook till the skin begins to soften. Remove from water, drain well and keep aside on a plate to cool.
· In a separate pan, heat 2-3 tbsp of oil coconut oil. Add spices and fry the melons in high heat until crispy. Turn off fire and allow mixture to cool.
· Procedure to do the filling. Blend all the sauce ingredients until forming a paste. Make sure is not too liquid. Stuff the mixture in the melons. Tie with a string to prevent filling from spilling out.Return to heat and serve intermediately.