Almonds have a warming nature and a sweet flavour. They are excellent for vata children.
- Relieves stagnant qi energy of the lungs, transforms phlegm, alleviates cough, and lubricates the intestines.
- Builds ojas, (vital fluid in the body)
- A sattvic nut, (increases mental calmness and spiritual attunement)
- Alkalizes the blood
- Great for the skin
- Increase energy
- Contain excellent quality protein and fat
- Nutritionally: contain carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, and iron; contain thiamine (B1), making them a nerve tonic as well as a brain food
- Almonds are bacteria-free and do not ferment
- Well assimilated and digested, if skins are removed
- The skins of almonds are difficult to digest, so Ayurveda suggests soaking almonds overnight. This makes the skins easy to peel off the next morning, leaving this beneficial nut purely receptive to be eaten.
- You can also blanch almonds by quickly dropping them into boiling water and then removing them. This makes their skins loosen and are easy to peel away..
- Almonds can be made into milk, with spices added; butter, which makes the almonds more rajasic, (stimulating to the mind); paste, which is best taken with honey as a revitalizer.
- Almond oil is wonderfully nourishing to the skin and can be applied after a shower to seal in moisture, or during a massage. It is light in quality, making it a good oil for Kapha and its heating nature makes it beneficial for Vata as well.