Idiyappam (Rice Noodles) is a traditional, easy to digest dish prepared mostly for breakfast. As it is steam cooked, it is healthy and suits well for children. This rice noodles are very popular in south Indian states.
Rice (I used raw rice) – 2 cups soaked for 2 hours
Milk – ¼ cup
Salt – pinch
Sesame or any edible oil – 1 tea spoon
1. Wash and grind soaked rice to a very smooth paste with salt and milk to a pouring
consistency state by adding some water.
2. Heat a pan, add this batter and stir in low flame continuously till it forms a lump or thick and
3. Add flour, until the mixture turns to smooth soft dough
4. Cover the bowl with a lid and allow to cool for 4 to 5 mins.
5.When it is warm, knead the dough with your hands into smooth dough.
6.Lightly grease the idiyappam press and the idiappam plate with cooking oil to prevent
7. Spoon some dough into the idiyappam press , close with lid and squeeze the dough onto the
idiyappam plates ( if you don’t have idiyappam plate, you can also use idly plate ) in a
8. Now place the idiyappam plates in a steamer and steam cook it until done (approx 10 to12
9. Allow it to cool and remove the idiyappams gently from the plate to a serving bowl.