Ayurveda suggests purifying yourself twice a year. Spring and fall are the indicated times. Purification, or Panchakarma, is ideally done for either 7, 14 or 21 days, depending on your health. If you are are out of balance, Ayurveda suggests a good 21 days of purification, which consists of daily body work, purgation and rest.
You will need an Ayurvedic practitioner to determine your constitution, present needs, and to provide the services to you. You can do 1 to 3 day purifications at home to assist with lightness and inner balance.
Here are a few suggestions for your home purification:
- Visit your practitioner to know what dosha needs to be treated. Sometimes we think that because our constitution is Pitta, we always need to treat Pitta; however it is possible to have a consitution of Pitta but have a Vatta imbalance. Ayurveda suggests that you first treat the dosha that is out of balance. This is an important step that will determinate the type of purification you need. Your practitioner may take your pulse and ask you a few questions.
- Reserve with your practitioner an adhyanga massage. This body treatment will soft down the toxins in your body and will push them into the colon. One massage is ok, however, think in 3 to 7 massages before your purgation. (releasing toxins from the colon).
- Select the dates where you can relax and dedicate time to rest and to the application of home therapies.
- Begin a monodiet of Kichari. (3 - 40 days in length) with the spices for your body type.
- Select an external oil for your oleation. Vattas may select sesame oil, Pittas may select coconut oil and Kaphas may select sunflower or mustard oil. Oleation requires the application of a generous amount of oil onto your body either overnight or half an hour before your shower.
- If your dosha is Vatta, do internal oleation. For internal oleation, it is required that you take 2 to 3 tsp of medicated ghee before breakfast each day.
- Take 4 to 6 tablets of triphala daily. (Most food stores now carry triphala)
- After 3 days of internal and/or external oleation apply a strong laxative. Your practitioner may suggest Avipatikar or give you specific herbs for your body type.
- Rest for the remainder of the day.
- During your 3 day detox you may drink burdock, tulsi, dandelion and red clover teas. Always choose warm drinks.Visit our store for detox teas and herbs.